MS in Oral Health Sciences
The MS in Oral Health Sciences? is a one year credential-enhancing pre-dental master’s program.
Our mission?is to prepare students as strong candidates for future admission to dental school.
Oral Health Sciences (OHS) students take courses through Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BUGSDM) and Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS)?at Boston University School of Medicine. Through immersion in a rigorous graduate biomedical sciences masters curriculum including several first year dental school courses (DMD-1), students develop essential critical thinking and research skills. The program fosters an environment of high standards for professionalism, integrity and collegiality where students build upon their abilities to enable future success.
The MS program takes four semesters to complete.? The majority of enrolled students complete the degree in one calendar year enrolling in classes in early August and completing the program the following July; this allows students to matriculate to dental school without requiring an additional gap year. In addition to dental coursework, students also are able to take courses across a variety of disciplines including public health, ethics, evidence-based dentistry and research.
The 32 credit master degree is completed in 4 semesters over 1, 1.5 or 2 years. This flexibility allows students to choose a completion path that best fits their individual credentials, dental school application timeline and? DAT test prep schedule.??The Oral Health Sciences (OHS) program was expanded in 2016 due to a highly qualified applicant pool.?To maintain this unique environment for students, two DMD courses are now?offered in a blended live lecture and online streaming format (50:50).
All students take a full-time course load in the fall and spring:
Students completing the program in 12 months will complete a Capstone over Summer I/II.
Students wishing to spend an extra year earning valuable clinical and/or biomedical research experience or enrolling in additional coursework may choose to complete a thesis in Year 2 Fall/Spring.
The Oral Health Sciences (OHS) program was initiated in 2005 as a track within the well-established masters in Medical Sciences program.? Of the 250 students who have completed the OHS program since its inception in 2005, 90% have been accepted to US dental schools.? Due to the program’s success and increased recognition nationally, the OHS track was approved as a new masters degree in 2013.
The MS degree curriculum is very similar to the OHS track with one additional feature: the option to choose between a Capstone or Thesis, completed under the guidance of faculty from the dental and graduate schools.??Now as a dental master’s program it is suited for pre-dental students that are looking to grow their preparedness before entering Dental School.
- Learn about our program success in this publication? and review in Insight Diversity Magazine
- Read testimonials from our alumni here.
- The program has a highly successful track record, with?90% of our?graduates matriculating to US dental schools.
- Acceptances include:
- Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
- Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
- Columbia?University’s College of?Dental?Medicine
- East Caroline University School of Dental Medicine
- Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
- Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry – Temple University
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Roseman?University’s College of?Dental?Medicine
- Touro College of Dental Medicine
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- University of Buffalo School of Medicine
- University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry
- University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
- University of Florida College of Dentistry
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
- University of Maryland College of Dental Surgery
- University of?Michigan School of?Dentistry
- University of New England School of Dental Medicine
- University of the Pacific?Arthur A.?Dugoni?School of Dentistry
- University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- University of Southern California, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
- University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Western University of Health Sciences,?College of Dental Medicine
Reasons to Come to OHS
Credential-Enhancing Masters Program: Provides students with the opportunity to build academic credentials for dental school admission
Housed in Boston University’s School of Medicine’s Graduate Medical Sciences: Housed in Boston University’s School of Medicine’s Graduate Medical Sciences: The BU Medical Campus which houses the Graduate School, Medical School, Boston Medical Center and the Goldman School of Dental Medicine provides a diverse campus for both academic and professional growth for pre-dental students.
Boston: Located in the vibrant city of Boston, rich in history, art, sports, medicine and education
Rigorous, graduate-level curriculum:Students take a rigorous 32 cr curriculum with 18 cr of first year dental school classes taken side-by-side BU’s dental students.
Improve Academic Preparedness for Dental School Admission:? Develop strong study and test taking skills as well as the ability to network and multi-task.
Strong Advising, Career Mentoring and AADSAS Application Assistance: Advising throughout the program on not just academics but also professionalism and DMD application support.
Strong Community: Students build a strong community with fellow students, near-peers and faculty and have excellent exposure to life as a dental student.
Stresses Academics, Professionalism and Critical Thinking: Through academic and professional enrichment events, students are supported at all steps towards program completion and dental school admission.
Admission to Dental School:?More than 90% of OHS? graduates are successful in matriculating to US dental schools.
- Sign up for a Webinar or email to arrange a visit, to learn more about the M.S. in Oral Health Sciences program.
|Theresa A. Davies, Ph.D.,
Director, M.S. in Oral Health Science
BU School of Medicine, L 317